Wednesday 9 January 2013

Teaching again

My first day of teaching at Kaplan College today. I began with an hour of Foundation Science to a class of 5 students (basically Physical Chemistry which I studied in the 60s and 70s - but it has all come back to me like it was yesterday. Scary really!). I then spent two hours of Science and Society with one student, so more of a seminar than a lecture. I will be seeing these students (who seem bright and keen) again tomorrow and for the next ten weeks. It was interesting to be back teaching in P Block on the UWE campus, where I began my teaching at UWE over 20 years ago. It was also interesting to be in the Teacher's Room, which I first knew as the Staff Common Room before it turned into IT support offices until the space was taken over by Kaplan College. Plus ça change! 

Ran into Bob Lang afterwards, and was able to buy him a cup of coffee to celebrate his birthday today before I headed back home. We headed out for a walk via Larkhall. I appreciated the blue skies and sunshine after being inside most of the day.
We went up to the racecourse with Bella. Spotted this sticker on the side of a van which was decorated with lots of flower stickers and a hippy aphorism.
Walking round the racecourse, we saw a new platform for TV cameras which was disguised with camouflage netting.
The highlight of the walk was to the west at the end of the track. Glorious skies as a reward for our cold toes. 
Whichever vista you looked at was breathtaking. 
Definitely a highlight of the day. 
As the sun went down, the colours deepened. 
Back at the car by the Blathwayt Arms. 
This day a year ago, the weather started off bright - spotted these daffodils poking up already.

No comments:

Post a Comment