Thursday 10 March 2011

I'm Leaving UWE!

I heard yesterday afternoon that my application for enhanced voluntary severance has been accepted.  As of 31st July, I will no longer work at the University of the West of England! Last night we went out to celebrate with a yummy Chinese meal followed by a film.  What was billed as a science fiction film called "The Adjustment Bureau" turned out to be one of the worst films we have seen in a long time - a waste of Matt Damon and Emily Blunt's talents, and a disservice to the Philip K Dick story on which it was based.


I didn't care, as I am demob happy.  This afternoon, I took a break to have a coffee and finish reading a book about fonts (I know I'm a saddo, but I'm inflicting a lecture about this on my students tomorrow :-)!).  After that, I went to try out a new photo-stitching app on my iPhone - pretty good results:-
Having escaped to the outside world for a change, I photographed the big red doors behind which lives "Project Bloodhound" (UWE's bid to make a 1,000 mph car - this gets the engineers very excited!), some glass and metal frontage to part of our Faculty, and the courtyard hidden on the other side of it.


I came home to talk to Su about what, when and how we might do the next phase of our lives, now that I am free!  No definite plans yet - lots more talking to do! Thanks to our Canadian contingent for comments and to Robin for the entertaining phone message last night. Tomorrow's another day...

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Matt Damon had any talent. (If you want a 1,000mph car I can provide my Focus diesel.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind the Focus diesel - Skoda turbos are much faster! Welcome to the ranks of the retired, Marcus.

    ReplyDelete